Sunday, October 12, 2008

What a ride!

So yesterday was my 42 mile ride at the BBC Century in Springville and it was just Jim and myself riding. We got started around 9:20 and set out for a smooth steady ride so as not to wear ourselves out. We took turns pulling each other which probably was one of the best things we could have done. It allowed each of us to rest while maintaining a good steady pace.

The scenery on this ride was awesome once you got off Hwy 11. The back roads we were on were pretty good pavement wise, and the terrain was demanding. On the way out it was pretty much a steady climb with small drops scattered through out. So needless to say we were looking forward to the return ride. In fact, we trimmed about 20 minutes off our time on the return trip.

The most difficult aspect of this ride was not the distance or hills, it was the head winds. They were brutal, it seemed like every time we got to a level section or even a downhill we were hit with pretty strong headwinds. Other than the wind the weather was perfect, it was overcast and cool.

During the ride I felt pretty good the whole way. It wasn't until the last 10 or so miles that I was really ready to get off the bike. I could feel I was running low and my butt was starting to hurt. So when we reached Homestead Hollow I can say I was never so happy to get off a bike as I was then.

I'm really proud of the fact that for the longest ride I have ever ridden I probably had my best average speed and one of my best paces!

Maybe next year I'll be up for the 68 mile ride!!

Ride Time: 2:28:39
Total Time: 2:38:11
Total Distance: 42.11 miles
Average Speed: 17 mph
Max Speed: 35.3 mph
Ride pace: 3:31
Max Grade: 11.4%

Here is the elevation profile.


Here is the map player at Motionbased.com
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/6951220

4 comments:

MTBROWN said...

Man that is awesome. You should be very proud.

j2d said...

I'm pumped, I'd do it all over again!

Greg Cherry said...

Good job man! You are making some real progress. Everybody needs to go purchase some winter riding gear, cause that's when you really make up the ground!

j2d said...

I'm going to keep riding and see how well I do as the temps start to fall. I don't know if I'll need a simple jacket or if I'll need to get long cycling pants.