Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 1 of Blogging

So I happened upon this place because some fellow cyclists were using it as a way to track and record their progress at Cycling. So I guess I'm a lemming and have become a fellow blogger. But I'm ADD so I may lose interest in it! So don't blame me, it's not my fault, it's my parents, the food, the government, the media, the democrats, the republicans, the whoever I forgot to mention!

Any who, enough of the sarcasm. I'll try to maintain this blog and keep up with my rides and so forth for the throngs of fans I will accumulate who will want to read of my endeavors!

So, lets start!

Last evening I did my first Birmingham Botanical Gardens ride with a few guys I meet via www.bamabikechat.com; which by the way is a great place for local riders to keep in touch and organize rides. I met up with Michael and Neal at the BBG and a few other whom I can't recall their names (forgive me, I'm horrible with names). We decided to do the out and back 18 mile round trip ride. I had no idea what to expect with this ride as I'm used to riding alone in the Trussville area. Needless to say it was an interesting experience. There were probably 70+ cyclists all starting out at the same time, much to the delight of local traffic! Once the first few lights and miles passed the groups thinned out as the faster riders pulled away and us lowly newbies hauled in the rear. Overall the course was a relaxed and relatively easy ride, small rolling hills, mostly flat terrain and only a few inconsiderate drivers who view cyclists as demon spawn! However, I will forgive the one driver who nearly had Michael smeared on his windshield like a bug...we did turn the wrong way down a one way!

The ride was enjoyable and I was glad to meet some fellow cyclists who were on my skill level!

Next Tuesday I'll do it all over again, but I'll push for the 22 mile round trip!

Matt

No comments: