Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day 2 Blogging; Good Bike Ride

Today was a perfect day for a ride. I was afraid that the afternoon storm we had roll through would cause me one of two problems. First, that it would still be raining when I got home preventing me from riding. Second, that it would be so god awful muggy that my ride would be miserable.

To my surprise the rain cooled things off tremendously. I noticed on my drive home that the temperature was in the upper 70's. And that was confirmed by my bike computer, the highest I saw was 79. Slightly overcast sky, mild humidity and no heat! What perfect riding weather.

So I decided I would try to squeeze in as long a ride as I could. Basically that means 1.5 hours of riding because it begins to get to dark to be comfortable if I ride longer. Sadly that will slowly get reduced as summer fades away. I'll either have to start riding in the mornings ( a morning person I am not) or take my bike to work with me and ride as soon as possible after work.

Anyways, back to the ride. Today's ride was not my longest but a good distance with some decent climbs. My total distance was 21.05 miles riding along Smith Sims Road in Trussville, along Floyd Bradford to Hwy 78, to Old Leads, to Grants Mill, turning on Grantswood, then a right on Ratliff heading back to Hwy 78 and then back tracking to my starting point. Good climbs, nice flat sections and some speedy downhill sections. My time was just under 1 hour 29 minutes with an average speed of 14.2 mph. Not bad in my opinion. My pace was not the fastest I have seen, but on par with what I've typically done in the past.

Thankfully, on this ride I didn't have any inconsiderate motorists like I normally see along Hwy 78.

Enough rambling at this point. I probably won't get to ride again to next week, although I hope to squeeze in a moutian bike ride sometime on Sunday. Just have to wait and see what Sunday has in store!

Till next time, keep pedaling!

No comments: